We invite artists living in Cumbria to join us in our Summer Exhibition
Dates and Times
Please fill out your entry forms prior to delivering work
- 14th July 2019 – HANDING IN DAY 10am to 12:30pm
- 18th July 2019 – Collection of non-selected works 11:00am to 3:00pm
- 29th July 2018 – Exhibition opens
- 4th September 2019 – Exhibition closes
- 6th September 2019 – Collection of unsold works 10:30am to 4:30pm
- 7th September 2019 – Collection of unsold works 10:30am to 12:30pm
- 8th September 2019 – Submission of works by eligible applicants for Membership by 12:00pm
(see Application for Membership section below)
- 8th September 2019 – Lake Artists Society AGM and consideration of applications for Membership
- 8th September 2019 – Collection of works by Membership applicants 5:00pm
- You must be permanently resident in Cumbria
- You may submit a maximum of two works. Both of which must be for sale.
- 2D and 3D works are admissible.
- No works may be exhibited which have previously been seen in any public exhibition in Cumbria
- Editions of prints and sculpture will preferably not be available for sale in Cumbria during the period of the Summer Exhibition
- A handling and insurance cover fee of £15.00 is payable on submission of your works. Free to students under 25.
- There are no refunds against unselected work.
- No works accepted for the Exhibition can be removed before the close of the Exhibition.
- A commission of 20% will be charged by the Society on the selling price of all work sold.
- Exhibitors will be advised of details of their sales approximately one week before the close of the Exhibition and of any subsequent sales at the time of collection.
- The Society covers exhibits for Fire, Theft and Public Liability risks whilst the works are within the bounds of Grasmere Hall.
- Transport to and from the Hall is not included.
All 2D works must be Exhibition Ready
- Works must be delivered, unpacked, to Grasmere Village Hall
- Work on paper must be framed
- Frames or stretcher pieces must be able to withstand the application of hooks and screws and mirror plates.
- Please remove all hanging fixtures and tape them, for use by the purchasers, to the rear of the work.
- Metal, plastic or clip frames will not be accepted.
- Diffused picture glass and frames and mounts of an unusual colour, size or design may prejudice the chance of selection.
- An Exhibition Entry Label must be fully completed and affixed to the back of each 2D work by a length of string long enough to allow the label to hang over the front of the work, for cataloguing purposes
- An Exhibition Entry Label must be attached to each 3D work
- Exhibition Entry Labels will be available for completion on Handing-In Day. Do allow time for completion when delivering your works
- It is important to make sure that labels and forms are accurately completed, particularly regarding the medium used, i.e. Acrylic, Gouache, Mixed media, Oil, Pastel, Watercolour,
Delivery of works
- You are responsible for the delivery of your works to purchasers. While, in most cases, purchasers collect the works at the end of the Exhibition (either from the Hall or later from the artist’s home), requests are received each year for works to be delivered.
- Please indicate Yes or No on the Entry Form against each work to indicate whether you are prepared to arrange packing, carriage and insurance. The Conditions of Sale issued by the Society are shown towards the back of the catalogue.
- Please note that the cost of carriage is to be borne by the purchaser and the artist is required to invoice the purchaser direct to recover these costs.
Application for Membership Criteria
- Exhibitors who wish to be considered for election to Membership of the Lake Artists Society must be permanently resident in Cumbria
- Applicants must have two works accepted for the Summer Exhibition
- All applicants are required to present not less than five additional items of recent work, framed or unframed by no later than 12.00 noon at Grasmere Village Hall.
- All applications will be assessed by the Society’s Council Members and those short-listed will be put forward for consideration at the AGM.
- Lake Artist Society Members present at the AGM will each vote on the applications.
- All applicants collect their works at 5.00pm and will be notified if they have been successful and, if not, what stage of the process they reached.
- Successful candidates will be invited to become Members of the Lake Artists Society and will be required to pay an annual subscription of £35